Wednesday, June 5, 2013

0 Solitude

Recently, I've gone back to reading books more frequently. Thanks to almost every weekend travel trips. lol. I read to pass time while on the road and I can say that the best companion while traveling are books and music players. The inner recesses of  my mind is my happy place and having these two things makes me achieve inner peace.

One of the books I read was "Manuscript found in Accra" by Paulo Coelho. This was gifted to me by one of my best college buds on my birthday. Knowing that it was written by Paulo Coelho, I was sure that this was going to be a nice read. He did not disappoint.

The book contained nuggets of wisdom about many practical things in life. My favorite chapter is the one that deals with solitude. Let me quote some lines from the book:

"Solitude is not the absence of Love, but its complement.

Solitude is not the absence of company, but the moment when our soul is free to speak to us and help us decide what to do with our life.

Therefore, blessed are those who do not fear solitude, who are not afraid of their own company, who are not always desperately looking for something to do, something to amuse themselves with, something to judge.
If you are never alone, you cannot know yourself. “



 Many people often interchange the meaning of solitude and loneliness. Loneliness is marked by a sense of isolation and is more likely a negative feeling. Solitude on the other hand is a state of being alone without being lonely. Solitude can be refreshing.

Personally, I enjoy being alone the same way I enjoy being with other people. I don't understand why some people need other people ALL THE TIME to be with them and to accompany them.

Solitude makes me realize many things and help me reflect about my life, where I currently am and what I want to be.

Solitude makes me compose my thoughts, rearrange my life and set goals to accomplish what I want. 

Solitude enables me to know myself better. It lets me be just myself without pretension because of other people. It allows introspection.

It's also during my quiet time that I get to commune with my creator.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...